February 20, 2010
- Might makes right: a screenwriter writes to Justice Scalia about the constitutionality of secession and remarkably receives a reply, “If there was any constitutional issue settled by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede.”
- Eugene Volokh, while no supporter of secession, says the issue was not settled at Appomattox.
- The ever estimable Arnold Kling praises the virtues of federalism, “Imagine Maine as a European welfare state and New Hampshire as a libertarian state…“
- At Aid Watch, Laura Freschi makes the case for human capital flight.
- Better Off Stateless: could anarchy be good for somalia’s development?
- North Korea vs. Penn State football–Seth Roberts on finding a moral equivalent of the tribe, “people don’t fear dying, they fear dying without significance.”
- Universities as uni-bot replicators.
- More Peter Thiel on the need for radical, 1950s inspired technologies.
- David Brooks on the power elite: “We’ve increased the diversity and talent level of people at the top of society, yet trust in elites has never been lower.”